Taken hepatitis B vaccination eight years ago. Do I need to take it again?

ENT Specialist
Hepatitis B vaccination camp, on August 23 in SAP:
I had this vaccination around 8 years ago. Is it required to take it again
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 44 minutes later

Thanks for the query

It was previously believed and suggested that the vaccination would only provide effective cover for five to seven years. But subsequently, it was discovered that long-term immunity derives from immunological memory hence administration of booster doses is not required in successfully vaccinated immunocompetent individuals. Hence you do not require any booster dose if your primary immunization was properly done.

Those people, who fall in high risk group such as healthcare workers, should have a single booster dose after 5 years of primary immunization.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon