Taken erythromycin for throat infection and body pain, had loose motion, running nose and phlegm. Please advise

On Saturday i had throat infection and body pains, so i took erythromycin. The next day(sunday) i took dolo 650 as my body pains did not decrease and erythromycin. On Sunday i had 4 times loose stoll motion. Today, monday I did not take any medicine, but i have running nose and phelgm.Also twice loose stool motion. I feel very uneasy.
Please advise.
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 43 minutes later

Thanks for writing in,

The symptoms suggest that you could have an infection. Erythromycin can rarely cause loose stools, so it is advisable that you stop taking erythromycin after discussing with your treating doctor.

If antibiotic therapy is required you may start ofloxacin (as it works both for throat and gastrointestinal infections as well) after discussing with your doctor.

In addition, I also suggest the following measures:
1. Take some decongestant tablet.
2. Take plenty of water. Avoid fried and junk food.
3. Take curd, rice, buttermilk.

The symptoms should resolve soon with the aforementioned suggestions. Further evaluation is entailed if symptoms persist.

Hope, I answered your query. If you have further query or clarification, please ask.
I will be happy to help.

Wish you speedy recovery.