Taken emergency contraceptive pill while pregnant. Is there any harm to fetus due to I pill? Is it wise to continue pregnancy?

My wife, 28 years, had taken emergency contraceptive pill, ipill, 2 no's, between 14th - 17th April 2012 after the relation. On today 19th May 2012, found out that, she is 7 weeks pregnant. Is there any harm to fetus due to the use of Ipill, which contains Levonorgestrel, a type of progesterone hormone? We are very much worried. Is it wise to continue pregnancy. Please inform as soon as possible.
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 1 hour later
it is common to have failure of emergency contraceptive pillls. The current scientific recommendation is that these pills are unlikely to cause any significant fetal side effects. As per current recommendation, termination of pregnancy is not recommended, when the pregnancy occurs after taking emergency or regular pills.There could be a marginal increase in the effect of drug on external genitalia, if the fetus is female.
Follow-up: Taken emergency contraceptive pill while pregnant. Is there any harm to fetus due to I pill? Is it wise to continue pregnancy? 1 hour later
Thank You, Doctor, just some more confirmation needed.
1)Even though we knew that, it was not recommended to use emergency contraceptive pills as daily birth pills, we have used it (Ipill) in the past 1 year, 5 to 7 in numbers(including the 2 no's of Ipill used between 14th - 17th April 2012, and on those days we had relation also).
2) my wife consumed ipill within 12hrs of each relation, which occurred on 14th and on 15th or 16th or 17th of April( dont exactly remember the dates, but just 2 times.
Based on the above information, I would like to know:-
a)will there be collective effect of the contents (Levonorgestrel) in my wives body and fetus, resulted from the last 1 year usage( 5 to 7 pills max)
b)Today, 19th May 2012, in the scan it showed 7 weeks pregnant. How 2 weeks additional, when the relation happened exactly 4-5 weeks back?
c)How the gestation period is calculated?
d)In case of female fetus, the effect of the drug that you have mentioned, is it possible to detect it in nearest future scans?
Thanks in adv, doctor!
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 35 hours later
There is no cuumulative drug effect
the gestational age is calculated from first day of last periods hence 7 wks
its international nomenclature for better standardisation
total preg is 40 wks (9 mths and 7 days)
Its unlikely that minor changes in female fetus can be picked on ultrasound