Taken combiflam for toothache. Lactating mother. Is it dangerous for the baby?

Question
hi ,
I am having a very bad tootache , I have taken 1 tablet of combiflam now.
I am Breast feeding my 7 month old daughter .She has urinary infection and is on Nitrofurantoin 3 ml daily at night since she has a left reflux problem (Grade 4)
Will my taking this medicine be bad for her ,Should i not breast feed her today???
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Combiflam is a combination of Ibuprufen and Paracetamol. The use of this drug is not contraindicated during breast feeding, however, you need to be cautious if you have acidity or gastritis.

You also seem to have an allergy to paracetamol, so it is better to avoid medications like combiflam which contain paracetamol. Instead, you can take medicines which contain diclofenac which is safe for you and your baby .

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Taken combiflam for toothache. Lactating mother. Is it dangerous for the baby? 44 hours later
Hello doctor,
Thanks for the reply
Since i dont have acidity or Gastritis i assume i can breast feed the baby without worries.

Is wikoryl suitable for me.I need to have my tooth extraced hope it wont effect the quality of milk.

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up.

You can continue breast feeding your daughter.

Wikoryl contains Chlorpheniramine maleate. Generally it is not indicated while breast feeding. I suggest you to discuss about this with your doctor. If needed an alternate anti inflammatory drug such as diclofenac can be used for tooth ache.

You can get your tooth extracted; it will not affect the quality of milk.

You can discuss with your Dentist again which medicine to be used during tooth extraction are safe while breast feeding.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.