Taken bio-identical thyroid hormones. Found decrease in bone density. What is the cause?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I had a bone denisty test 5 years ago which was excellent. I had one done now and it showed a significant decrease in density. I must say that I have taken bio-identical thryroid hormones under doctors guidance for 2 1/2 years. Can that have had an effect on bone density? I am a 65 year old female.
Posted Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Taking relatively large doses of thyroid hormone such as levothyroxine sodium for many years tend to have a lower bone mineral density in arms, hip, and spine. There are some researches that conclude that women taking higher doses of thyroid hormone are at risk for accelerated osteoporosis.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.