Taken antibiotics for throat discomfort after cough and cold. Done laryngoscopy. Taking medicine for GERD. How long to heal?

ENT Specialist
for about a month and a half ago I had cough and cold. one week later the cough and cold went away but developed a feeling that something is struck in my throat. went to a general physician, who told that it is due to infection in the throat due to cold and prescribed with some antibiotics, which I took for 1 week but got no relief. Then I visited one ENT, who had a laryngoscopy (looked down my throat) and told my throat is clear, nothing is there. He told its due to acid reflux. GERD. he gave me some antibiotics for 1 month. I am taking the prescribed medicine for about 20 days. There is little improvement but the problem is still there. Nowadays after taking meals I do have a choking sensation for 15 to 20 mins. I want to know how long does the chockingness of the throat takes to heal from GERD.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 34 minutes later

I have gone through your description. GERD can be sometimes very irritating and persistent. The cough usually is more during night when the reflux happens in the lying down position. Please follow the below instructions to ensure you have tackled the reflux.

1. Do not eat spicy food; try avoiding outside food.
2. Continue taking Pantaprazole tablet given by your doctor.
3. Eat small but frequent meals.
4. Give a gap of at least two hours between your last meal and the time you go to bed during night.
5. Use an additional pillow if possible.
6. Decrease stress

If symptoms persist, you may have to undergo a thorough upper GI endoscopy for the doctor to look into your stomach too. Finally, in my experience, I have seen some patients with symptoms mimicking GERD but actually having a condition called 'silent asthma'.

Your chocking sensation could be most likely due to GERD as you have been examined by an ENT surgeon. As I have said earlier, if you follow all the above steps, you could have significant improvement in your condition soon.