Taken antibiotics for strep throat. Have fever. Done culture and sensitivity test.

I have had strep throat and took two courses of antibiotics, my strep test came back negative today, but now I have a 101 fever, I'm waiting for the culture and sensitivity test to come back tomorrow, but the fevers started happening as I finished the zithromax
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The persistent high grade fever is suggestive of a persistent infection in your body. Sometimes it is resistant bacteria which is difficult to control with first line antibiotics. Throat swab culture report will help in finding out the antibiotic most suitable for you.
Another possibility is a superadded viral infection. I suggest the following treatment options currently:
1) For pain relief and fever acetaminophen, ibuprofen will help you.
2) For sore throat relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids. Gargling with warm water mixed with dissolvable aspirin can give additional benefits.
3) Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances.
4) Consume plenty of water and good fruits and vegetables.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Taken antibiotics for strep throat. Have fever. Done culture and sensitivity test. 9 minutes later
Thank you so much, I just have one question, what is a superadded viral infection?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Superadded viral infection refers to added viral infection in addition to the bacterial infection you are already having. Takinh Vitamin C supplements will help in boosting your immunity.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.