Ask a Urologist   »  

Taken antibiotics for kidney infections. Sample shows high WBC. What is my next step?

I have had a few kidney infections in the past 12 months,usually taking two lots of antibotics to clear. Today I received a call from my surgery to say that my latest sample had come back showing high white cell content and they have called me into have a swab taken. What is my next step
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 6 hours later

You seem to be suffering with recurrent urinary tract infection. The high white blood cells in the urine are indicative of infection.

Though E.coli is the common culprit, there can be other causative agents and this can be assessed by a urine culture and sensitivity test. This test not only identifies the responsible organism but can also help us identify the right antibiotic needed.

Therefore the next step would be to perform a culture and sensitivity test using a clean catch mid stream urine.

In addition to the above I would also like to know the reason for the recurrent infections. A kidney stone, diabetes, obstruction to urinary tract, etc., are few known reasons. I think you also need to be investigated for the cause of recurrence. If I were to be your treating doctor I would include a couple of blood test and ultrasonography of kidney and urinary tract too. Discuss further with your treating doctor.

In the meanwhile as you plan to see your doctor I suggest you to drink plenty of fluids to keep the tract flushed.

Hope this helps. If you want to know anything else, please ask me. I will be glad to assist you.

I wish you good luck!