Taken antibiotics for UTI, hives on face, neck and hands. Taken Claritin. Now has fever. Is this an allergic reaction?

hives and mild feverso two weeks ago my girlfriend discovered that she had an uti. she went to the doctor and received a prescription for some type of sulfa antibiotic. she received twenty pills and was directed to take two pills a day. so around the ninth day and a few hours after breakfast she broke out into hives on her face neck and hands. so the next day she still had the hives and we purchased some claritin. She took the claritin and the hives subsided a few hours. She then took a nap and later woke up with a very mild fever. it went away with no medicine within a few hours. we just want to is this some type of allergic reaction?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 3 hours later
thanks for writing in.

This is as you rightly pointed out hives or urticaria.

It is an idiopathic (without any cause) skin disease and usually subsides on its own within 6 weeks. Basically, it is caused due to excessive histamine in the body.

Fever or an infection may precipitate an episode. This is not necessarily a drug (medicine) reaction. However, an episode may be precipitated by the use of analgesics (pain killers).

Claritin is a good medicine for hives.

your girlfriend may take one pill a day till the rash subsides completely. she may have to take this for a few weeks. but there are no side effects as such.

Usually treatment of the infection, takes care of the hives as well.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.