Taken antibiotics for H pylori. Anxiety, depression, constipation after stopping medication. What medicine to take for constipation?

General Surgeon
Dear sir,
I am a 27 year old male. I was recently tested positive for H pylori for which I took the triple therapy for 2 weeks (esomprazole+clarithromycin+Amoxillin) followed by 2 weeks of Levosulpiride+esomprazole 40 (Sompraz L) along with probiotics (velgut). Most of my symptoms ceased. However, when i stopped Levosulpiride+esomprazole 40 I began to get severe anxiety and depressive symptoms. I also had constipation and incomplete evacuation. I have always had anxiety and depressive symptoms as part of my IBS. I went to my local GP who suggested me to take Nexito Plus ( escitalopram 5mg+ clonazepam 0.5mg) for 2 weeks. I am taking 1 pill at night before bedtime and no other medicine. It’s been 2 days now since I started this and most of my anxiety and depressive symptoms have gone. I feel much better. However, I am still suffering from chronic constipation and incomplete evacuation. What prokinetic medicine can I take along with Nexito plus and what medicine can I take for constipation?
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
Before I will write about procinetics, I would like to advice you few words about your IBS. As you are after few antibiotics therapy, your intestine bacteria which naturally lives in human intestines and protects us against pathologic bacterias have been seriously decreased. I know you have been taking probiotics, but sometimes it might be not sufficient, and pathologic bacteria might have escalated your IBS symptoms including anxiety. That is why it is advisable to try Rifaximine antibiotic therapy. This one doesn't affect natural bacterial flora and it has proven IBS-treating action. Moreover, rifamixine is not absorbed from intestines, and is causes almoust no side effects.
If it`s about something for IBS related constipation, Mebeverine is very good and helps regulate intestines movement.
Hope this will help
Feel free to ask further questions
Follow-up: Taken antibiotics for H pylori. Anxiety, depression, constipation after stopping medication. What medicine to take for constipation? 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

thank you for your response. Kindly advise me as to what complementary medicines should I take along with Nexito Plus ( escitalopram 5mg+ clonazepam 0.5mg) since I have to take it for 12 days more. My main symptoms are chronic constipation, incomplete evacutation and gas. Also when should I take them? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later
Are you looking for complementary and alternative medications (Homeopathy / Ayurvedic)? If yes I am not sure how would they work for IBS.
Rifaximine is proven and it comes only with a prescription of Gastroenterologist. Mebeverine should be taken once a day for as long as your constipations will be gone.
This medicines can be taken along with Nexito Plus.
You should consult your doctor, and ask him about this medications before taking them.
Hope this will help