Taken amoxicillin for strep. Now have sore throat and ear pain. Could strep virus still be there? Taking Prilosec for loss of voice

I lost my voice completely 16 days ago, went to a CVS nurse practitioner and a culture taken indicated I had strep. Took amoxicillin for 10 days, but now 1 week after being off the amoxicillin I have a sore throat and some mild pain or pressure in my ear. Could the strep virus still be there? I'm being treated with Priolosec by my family physician because he said losing my voice had nothing to do with strep
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

If the Strep bacteria isolated in you was sensitive to Amoxicillin according to the culture and sensitivity test then there would be no chance for the sterp bacteria to stay back.

The sore throat and pressure in the throat could be due to the healing wound in throat, this would take not more than a week for it to disappear.Gargling warm salt water would help to prevent any super added infections.

Prilosec is for gastric acidity, you can continue on that.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.