Ask a Urologist   »  

Taken amoxicillin, Bactrim, Cipro and Azo for UTI. Have burning urination, sweating, nausea, vomiting. Help

Excellent

Question
I have been fighting a UTI for fifteen days and am still miserable. I started with amoxicillin, then Bactrim and now two days of cipro. I also took three azo for the pain. I urinate with burning, have sweats, nauseous but so far no vomiting. I cannot find any way to be comfortable. I spent two days in Akron General and on IVs and felt much better. that' when they changed my antibiotic to Bactrim and I had a reaction to it. (Tingling throu out my whole body). I have a call in to my doctor to see what the urine culture showed, but she hasn't.'t returned the call and I think I should go to the ER

XXXX
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 21 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

A urinary tract infection can be very uncomfortable.

After 2 days of ciprofloxacin you should be noticing at least a small improvement in your symptoms if the bacteria causing the infection was responsive to it.There should be a small decrease in the discomfort and frequency of urination.

Ciprofloxacin is in the quinolone family of antibiotics and has a wide spectrum of activity (active against a wide range of bacteria).

If you are not noticing even a small amount of improvement it is possible that the bacteria is resistant to the antibiotics given or the infection has spread to involve the upper urinary tract such as the kidneys.
When the infection extends to the kidneys the symptoms can be more severe and it can be more difficult to treat with oral medication and copious fluid intake.

AS you mentioned, the culture report result is important. This would show which bacteria is present and to which antibiotics it would respond.It may indicate that the antibiotics need to be changed.

If you are feeling so unwell, it would be best, as you stated, to visit the ER department for assessment.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Taken amoxicillin, Bactrim, Cipro and Azo for UTI. Have burning urination, sweating, nausea, vomiting. Help 25 minutes later
Is there a chance that my infection has moved on to the kidney? I am trying to fortify myself with a quarter banana but can't eat it. No appetite. still having cold sweats. Nothing soothes me

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later
HI

It is possible. Urinary tract infections most commonly involve the bladder or urethra (the passage after the bladder).
In some cases however , it can extend up the ureter towards the kidneys.

In this case the symptoms are usually more severe , there is a history of back pain and possibly fever.
The cold sweats may actually represent fever because the body tends to shiver when the temperature is very high.

It may be best to be assessed for this possibility as soon as you can.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Taken amoxicillin, Bactrim, Cipro and Azo for UTI. Have burning urination, sweating, nausea, vomiting. Help 4 hours later
I am in the ER and on IV. he doctor is admitting me and put me on a 4th antibiotic.....ceftriaxone/rocephin......I'm afraid this is not going to work either. The urine culture came back and I'm not sure what it read. I'm on a pain killer/anti nausea via IV and feel better.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi

I am so glad that you feel at least a little better. I sincerely pray and hope this antibiotic works for you.
If you wish to write out the culture report I will interpret it for you.

Follow-up: Taken amoxicillin, Bactrim, Cipro and Azo for UTI. Have burning urination, sweating, nausea, vomiting. Help 16 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

It's difficult to get the nurses to report the culture urine.
Here is the one from 2/28:

Cult URINE
Microbiology report
Oranism name: PROB KLEBSIELLA/ENTEROBACTER GRP
10,000 - 50,000 CFU/ml Gram negative bacilli
<10,000 CFU/ML Gram positive bacilli

there is a long list of 21 antibiotics, I think...with numbers after them, plus a list of S's and R's

Does that tell you anything? The urine culture collected yesterday is only partially collected

thanks, XXXXXXX

HI

Klebsiella is a bacteria that can cause a number of different infections.It often does not respond to typical antibiotics and also requires a prolonged course of antibiotics to be given.

The long list of 21 antibiotics would be the antibiotics they tested the bacteria against in the lab to check its response to them.
The R means that the bacteria is resistant to that antibiotic and the S means that it was sensitive or responded to it.

HOpe this helps

Please feel free to ask anything else

Follow-up: Taken amoxicillin, Bactrim, Cipro and Azo for UTI. Have burning urination, sweating, nausea, vomiting. Help 37 minutes later
Wow, thanks so much.
I have one more question. I visited Cuba in mid-April of this year. I went with a Grand circle people-to-people group and stayed at wonderful, clean hotels in Havana and mid-Cuba area. At the Havana hotel, I forgot and brushed my teeth with tap water after being warned against it. Later that day around two or three, I got sick and vomited. Do you think I could have contracted an unusual germ there? when you visit Cuba you are not required to have any special shots,

Thanks for responding.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 13 minutes later
HI

It is possible though the bacteria is seen world wide.
It is found in soil, water, some strains are found in the gastrointestinal tract.

This bacteria is also found in hospital environments and persons in the hospital with another condition have been known to contract klebsiella during their hospital stay.

I wish you the best, I would be glad to help you with anything else