Taken allergy test, advised antihistamine. How to get rid of it?

Excellent

Pulmonologist
Question
hi
i'm taking an allergy test in a few days. I've been told not to take any antihistamines for upto 7 days prior to the test. I know it's possible to react to some medications if you don't take them but you've got them close to you. do i have to get rid of all the antihistamines in our house for upto 7 days prior this test or is it ok if i just not take any for upto days prior my allergy test?
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 4 days later
Brief Answer:
It is advisable not to take any antihistaminics.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX,

Yes it is advisable not to take any antihistaminics prior to the test as it may interfere with the test results.

I am sure the test will be performed in a well equipped healthcare setting which will be able to handle any situation arising during the test so there is no need to be apprehensive.

I advise follow your doctor`s advice.

Follow-up: Taken allergy test, advised antihistamine. How to get rid of it? 2 days later
I've had weak lungs all my life. when I was an infant a pediatrician told my mom that my lungs are weak. when I saw an allergist last year for the first time he listened to my lungs prior to testing me for the common allergies. turned out I was only sensitive to them but not allergic however he said that I've weak lungs and he'll let my family doctor know that I've weak lungs so that he keeps an eye on them in case if I develop asthma or any other disease of the lungs in the future. i'm going to see him again this Tuesday cause I think that I might be allergic to heat and cold and wonder if he can test me for that. my question for you is what can cause weak lungs other than allergies? as I said I've had this condition all my life. when I was an infant a pediatrician told my mom that my lungs are weak. and this allergist told me the samething last year after he listened to my lungs and tested me for the common allergies.

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergy is because of Atopy which is present since

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX,

By weak lungs, i understand you mean that you have lungs which are hypersensitive and react to substances(allergens) to which a normal person does not show any reaction. In medical terms it`s known as `Reactive Airways Disease`.

There are no reasons as such for this. Such people have `Atopy` ie tendency to develop allergy and it`s generally present since birth. It may run in the family.

You may go for the allergy testing to identify at least some substances which are causing allergy so that you can avoid them as much as possible. Since all the allergens cannot be avoided all the time, allergic symptoms can be controlled with various medicines that are available.

Follow-up: Taken allergy test, advised antihistamine. How to get rid of it? 6 hours later
thanks for your reply. as I said last year when I went to an allergist for the first time he listened to my lungs before the test and and after the test he told me that i'm not allergic to any of the things he tested me for i'm only sensitive to them. he tested me for the common allergies only. and said that I've no known allergies but I've weak lungs. its been almost a year since I've seen him and I've a feeling that I might be allergic to the weather (both heat and cold) when I take a hot shower I develop rashes sometimes in the shower and the samething happens when i'm in the cold weather sometimes and sometimes I cough too. so i'm gonna ask him to check me for both heat and cold this time see if i'm allergic to them.
is reactive airways disease same as atopy?
what are the available treatments for reactive airways disease?

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reactive Airway Disease is manifestation of atopy.

Detailed Answer:
Reactive Airway Disease may be a manifestation of atopy. Here airways go into spasm to any stimulus. In your case exposure to heat or cold may be the trigger. It may manifest as cough or breathing difficulty. Rashes may be the skin manifestation of atopy.

Atopy can be controlled by anti histamines like cetrizine/loratadine/allegra etc. Monteleukast is another drug and at times a short course of steroids may be required depending on the severity. For controlling lung symptoms like cough and breathing difficulty, there are inhalers.

You will have to consult your PCP or your pulmonologist for correct line of treatment.

Follow-up: Taken allergy test, advised antihistamine. How to get rid of it? 14 hours later
ok thanks. its been years that I've been seeing psychiatrist for my depression but I think that my depression has been caused by my lungs not working well. I found out that I have weak lungs last year but according to my mom when I was a toddler a pediatrician told her this but she never told me. if I knew this is the case I would have never seen a psychiatrist , I would have seen a pulmonologist or an allergist or my family doctor for this matter. I think my depression is caused by my weak lungs or in other words airway reactive disease.
is airway reactive disease a genetic disease?

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, it`s not genetic.

Detailed Answer:

No, RAD is not genetic.

Bye.

Follow-up: Taken allergy test, advised antihistamine. How to get rid of it? 1 hour later
I was at my allergist office yesterday. he didn't test me for heat and cold. he said we're all allergic to it. so I've weak lungs or in medical terms RAD but I don't know why. as I said when I did an allergy test about a year ago he couldn't find any allergies in me. he said I'm sensitive to all the substances he tested me for but not allergic. so I don't know what's causing my RAD.

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
No definite cause known for RAD.

Detailed Answer:
There is no definite cause known for RAD. The airways may become sensitive because of inflammation as a result of some childhood infection but this is also only a conjecture.

My suggestion is that you take proper precaution against excess heat or cold or any other known allergens.

Follow-up: Taken allergy test, advised antihistamine. How to get rid of it? 11 hours later
I don't know. my mom had an infertility problem and that's why she got her first period late. she was 16 years old when she got her first period and when she got married she had a hard time getting pregnant. one gynaecologist had thought she would never be able to reproduce as a result of her infertility problem so she changed her gynaecologist and her that doctor put her on clomid pills and then she had to two misscarriages and to get pregnant again she took one clomid pill under her doctor's instruction. I also believe she had wait sometime before trying to get pregnant again so that her vagina (something like that) gets ready again. and she got pregnant on me. but then I was born with weak lungs. maybe my weak lungs are caused by my mother's infertility problem. can RAD go away with proper medication? i'm on loratidine and ventolin for it. is that enough? i'm also on zantac but that's for my stomach problem.

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue loratadine and ventolin.

Detailed Answer:
As i said, exactly what causes RAD is not known. Chilhood inflammation is said to be a cause.

Symptoms of RAD can be controlled with treatment but it is difficult to say if it can be cured completely.

Loratadine and ventolin should help in controlling the symptoms. You may also try combination inhalers which have LABA abn long acting steroids like seroflo or symbicort. You may continue zantac as it helps in reflux disease and control cough and breathlessness.