Taken a dose of regestrone during pregnancy. What are the risks on pregnancy?

Mar 2016

Hi doctor, my wife has taken a dose of regestrone, 10 tablets. After 2 days of completion we find that she is 7 weeks pregnant.
What are the risks in carrying on with this pregnancy? Can there be any impact to the baby later, physically or neurologically
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Regestrone contains Norethisterone as composition. It is contraindicated during pregnancy after 4-5 weeks when organogenesis of the fetus takes place.

It may cause virilization of a female fetus along with various other abnormalities in the developing fetus.

Taking 10 tabs around 7 weeks of pregnancy is quite risky for the baby. She should stop medication immediately and undergo one urgent ultrasound scan to rule out any congenital defect. If initial scan report is satisfactory, then she may need to do other relevant investigation.

Here, you should consult with gynecologist at the earliest and take suggestive measures accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.