Taken Zpac for cough. Sneezing and vomiting after coughing, sore lumps on neck, clear phlegm. What should I do?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have had a cough for the past 7 weeks. I went to the Dr. and was given abuteral inhaler, steriod inhaler and Zpac antibiotics. I was told it was probably acute bronchitis. I am 48 years old. I have had episodes of Bronchitis before, but never like this. I cough, cough, cough, then sneeze, then vomit a bit and then have a hard time catching my breath. I now have two sore lumps on the back of my neck (lymph nodes?) The phlegm I am producing is clear in color.
What do you think it is and what should I do?
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Yes your symptoms do resemble that of an airway disorder ( inflammation ) either bronchitis or bronchiolitis - alveolitis( smaller airways ).
The treatment given seems appropriate however seven weeks is a long time and most cases do resolve maximum after 4weeks or so of treatment .
In your case it would be best to consult a chest physician ( specialist / pulmonologist ) who can order relevant investigations like CT scan / atleast xray of chest , lung function tests , complete blood counts , ESR , etc to confirm the diagnosis and start appropriate management .
The lymph nodes in your neck suggest a probable infectious etiology and hence your doctor has rightly started you on antibiotics ( Zpac).
In addition you can try steam inhalations and warm saline gargles thrice daily each for faster recovery.
Breathing exercises ( slow and XXXXXXX breathing ) as done in yoga or taught by a chest physiotherapist will help in much quicker relief.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.