Taken Zitotec dose for abortion. Noticed no bleeding after 24 hours. Having pain. Suggest?

Mar 2016

I have taken Zitotec dose and its been more than 24 hrs but still i haven't got my period. But i am having pain. And i am having less than 49 days pregnancy.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need Reassessment of the abortion procedure.

Detailed Answer:

First of all, medical abortion can be done successfully in less than 49 days pregnancy by using abortion pill. However, the procedure should be done strictly under supervision of gynecologist/ healthcare provider as it is associated with some adverse effects like abdominal pain, excessive vaginal bleeding, fainting, nausea, vomiting etc which may not be controlled at home or by own. It is also helpful in emergency situation.

From above information, if you took zitotec tab (misoprostol) in proper way or after doctor's consultation, then you have to wait for at least 48 hrs to get effective result. It takes time to start bleeding in some cases.

Next thing, if you do not get any bleeding after 48 hrs, you must consult with your doctor or gynecologist for reassessment of the present situation. It is also to be confirmed whether pregnancy is tubal or intrauterine through ultrasound scan if it is not done previously.

Further course of treatment depends on the assessment of abortion procedure. In failed medical abortion, surgical procedure (D & C) may be needed to undergo after consultation with your doctor.

In the mean time, you can take some pain killer medication with antacid if you can't tolerate the pain. Along with, take balanced diet and drink more water or fluid.

Hope, above information is helpful. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health. Good luck.

Dr Soumen