Taken Z-pack for bronchitis. Not feeling better. When to call doctor again? How soon can running be done?

Jun 2015

i have bronchitis for the last 6 weeks just finished my second round of z-pack yesterday and I feel better but still not 100%. how long should i wait to call doctor again ? I am very rarely sick and would hate to have to take a third round of antibiotics? I dont want to relapse either ? How soon can I work out at gym (running) 4 miles every day? Thank You!! XXXXXXX F
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 52 minutes later

Bronchitis is caused due to infection/inflammation of the respiratory passages.
And z-pack (pharmacologically Azithromycin) is effective against the bacterias causing it.

The relief from the symptoms indicates that the disease process is under control.
Whether the causative agent is still persisting or completely eradicated will be determined by certain investigations like complete blood count & X XXXXXXX of chest.

The decision about further management plan will be taken by your Doctor based on complete physical examination & co-relating the findings with investigation reports.

However, if the symptoms persist or aggravates(like severe breathlessness, wheezing, uncontrolled cough, etc.) then it will be better to call your Doctor.

As you have bronchitis for the last 6 weeks, it has caused a great amount of stress to the body.
And it is required to provide the body with adequate rest & proper nutrition to energize itself.
Once the symptoms resolve completely, you can start working out at gym.
You have to begin slowly & then can run 4 miles every day.

Till then, maintain adequate hydration & take a healthy balanced diet.
Avoid cold food & drinks, smoking and alcohol.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.