Taken Valerine for stress. Side effects of headache, confused, uncomfortable. Could this damage anything?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello doctor.

I have taken valerine ( baldrian root ) for 14-18 days because of stress and it really has helped me. I took 1 pill for the first 3-5 days then I started taken two, and on day 10 or 12; I started to take 1 pill for like 5-6 days, then my side effect started to show. I had headache, very calm in a negative way, confused and felt really uncomfortable. so after 1-2 days feeling not so well; I stopped taking valerine. Then after 1-2 days I took one again. Then I stopped completely. I felt ill for 2 days and now my side effects are completely gone. Im just wondering if this was XXXXXXX anyhow or this could damage anything ? Im feeling good now.

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Valerine produces a depressive effect on the brain. There are mild withdrawal symptoms seen on stopping the herb abruptly.
The symptoms you had were due to suddenly stopping the drug.
Since it is comparatively safe drug with no effects on heart or lungs, there is nothing worrisome now. Taking it for a short duration like you have taken does not cause any long term damage. All the effects of the drug will be washed out in 7-10 days.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.