Taken Tobramycin for eye infection, losing vision, headache. Linked to brain tumor?

Nov 2013

hi - I have had an eye infection for 5 months now - I have been seeing and opthamologist and have been on several antibiotics including most recently - 3 types - tobramycin (which I have been on, then off then back on - most recently weening myself off since it is a steriod); Ciloxan and Doxycycline - for the past month all 3 - besides being diagnosed with a bacterial eye infection - I am losing vision in my right eye - they said I have blepharitis AND I am getting headaches every day - esp when working on my computer for even short periods or reading. It starts to clear up but never fully then completely goes from 30 to 100 and is really bad again. I am thinking there is something more - perhaps in my brain - is there a linkage to eye infections and brain tumors? also I had lasik 8 years ago - never had issue but could something be happening this much later?? What are my next steps?
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
I note that you have a few problems related to eyes- bacterial eye infection (you have taken several antibiotics for the same), blepharitis and a past history of lasik (8 years ago). Your current problem is episodic headaches, which get aggravated by computer use and reading.
First of all, let me reassure you that there is usually no linkage between eye infections and brain tumors. However, in a very small proportion of cases, severe eye infections (orbital cellulitis) can spead to brain (this is not so in your case, as you do not have that kind of infection). Secondly, lasik does not have any long-term adverse effects (similar to any symptoms that you have now).
The most likley cause of headaches in your case could be tension headache/strain due to eye problems/eye-related. However, if the headache persists, it may be better to do a CT scan of the brain and consult a neurologist.
I hope to have clarified your queries. You may get back to me should you have any further queries.
Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad