Taken Rifaximin and Rifacol on and off for diarrhea. Diagnosed to have diverticulitis. Rifacol is not available. Suggest?

Question
I have taken rifaximin rifacol brand on and off for some months and find it a miraculous cure for debilitating diarrea almost daily. I have diverticulitis diagnosed by colonoscopy. I suddenly find Rifacol is not available and am devastated as the other brands are 4 times as expensive. I dread having to live with out rifaximin can you help I have nothing to add
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
In UK Targaxan, Xifaxanta, CIBOZ

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX

I will give you some of the options that may help you.

1. In UK there will be some other brands of rifaximin like Targaxan, Xifaxanta, CIBOZ etc, you can get the cheaper one if available.

2. You can contact the company through your prescribing doctor and ask for the samples. They will provide you samples that will be helpful for you.They will have patient assistant program.

3. Most of the time the pharmacist at the store would be able to recommend the alternative available for Rifaximin.

Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Taken Rifaximin and Rifacol on and off for diarrhea. Diagnosed to have diverticulitis. Rifacol is not available. Suggest? 21 hours later
Targaxan is 550mg a tablet I require 200mg 2/3 times a day. I do not understand your para 3 .When you say pharmacist at the store which store do you mean? thanks S E Nowell

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can consult the company. Drug dispenser

Detailed Answer:
Hi thanks for the follow up.

Yes you can contact the company through your prescribing doctor for the required/available dose. The Recommended dose is 550 mg twice a day. But they will help you if possible.

Para 3: You can discuss with any drug dispenser/ pharmacist near you. They will know all the available generic drugs that can help you.

Hope these clarified your query. Wish you good health.