Taken Prilosec, prevacid for heart burn. Have hiatus hernia. Tried Nexium. Suffering from leg cramps, hip pain. Is my sleep medication causing all these?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have had a hiatal hernia for over 17 years and have been on Prilosec for the first 14 years. It didn't seem strong enough to prevent my heartburn so I switched to several different medications, such as Prevacid, etc. (didn't prevent heartburn 100%). I recently tried generic Nexium (Nexpro) but my muscles were so sore. I just got a prescription for Protonix and am still sore. Leg cramps, hip pain, pain in my thighs. I like to play tennis at least 3 times a week but this achiness and soreness is preventing me from moving well on the court and elsewhere. I also take a sleep aid since I haven't been sleeping well due to menopause (or are the side effects of a sleep aid contributing to my soreness?) I researched diphenhydramine which indicates unusal joint or muscle pain as side effects. I'm totally confused about which antacid to take and should I discontinue my sleep aid? These aches and pains need to stop! Thank you.
Posted Tue, 19 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 51 minutes later
The soreness in the muscles that you are having are likely to be due to anti ulcer medicines. The sleep aid is not likely to cause such a problem.
To get symptomatic relief, you can get some muscle relaxant prescribed from your physician. The other possible cause can be vitamin D3 deficiency or electrolyte imbalances. Try to keep yourself well hydrated and take an electrolyte XXXXXXX sports drink for a few days.
Getting yourself evaluated with a few blood tests will be helpful in detecting teh exact cause.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Taken Prilosec, prevacid for heart burn. Have hiatus hernia. Tried Nexium. Suffering from leg cramps, hip pain. Is my sleep medication causing all these? 30 minutes later
What foods or beverages contain vitamin D3?
Also, what am I looking for with blood tests?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can get sachets of vitamin D3 over the counter at your nearest pharmacy. Exposure to sunlight will be helpful. You can use fortified butter or cheese too.
You can get your serum Vitamin D3 levels and serum electrolytes evaluated to detect the cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Taken Prilosec, prevacid for heart burn. Have hiatus hernia. Tried Nexium. Suffering from leg cramps, hip pain. Is my sleep medication causing all these? 10 minutes later
Can you recomend an antacid/proton inhibitor with less side effects such as muscle and joint pain? (Over-the-counter or prescription). Thank you. (As you can see, I'm really frustrated with all the choices).

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 minutes later
Hello.
You can use antacids liberally after every meal along with gastric protector like sucralfate suspension half an hour after every meal. Avoid proton pump inhibitors for a few days. This might resolve your problem.
Wishing you an early trouble free recovery.
Regards.