Taken Plan B after sex. Pregnancy tests positive. Could positive test be from this intercourse or was I already pregnant?

Question
I am 24, I had sex 5 days ago and took a plan b pill 6 hours after intercourse. I took a pregnancy test this am and this pm and both were positive. Could the positive home test be from that intercourse or was I already pregnant?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Its unlikely that the positive test was from this recent episode of intercourse 5 days ago.

Home pregnancy test shows positive result after a minimum period of 2 weeks after unprotected sexual intercourse. It is very, very unlikely to become positive in just 5 days. It's more likely that you are pregnant from a previous cycle.

The best way to confirm is to get an ultrasound of the pelvis. It will tell you a approx period of gestation.

Hope this was useful. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be available for follow ups.