Taken Mifepristone. Do not want to complete abortion. Is the baby harmed?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
If I took the mifepristone tablet and don't want to carry on taken the other tablets. Will it harm the baby? I think iv changed my mind about having abortion now. Please help
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 26 minutes later

Mifepristone blocks the absorption of the progesterone into the uterus. Progesterone is the hormone which is required to maintain the pregnancy.
So mifepristone induces shedding of endometrium.
The effect varies depending on the gestational age.
If you took the tablet after 8 weeks of gestational age, the harm will be less, as by that time baby starts producing its own progesterone.
But if you took tablet before 8 weeks, the survival of the baby is some what doubtful.
So you discuss these possibilities with your doctor and proceed accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Taken Mifepristone. Do not want to complete abortion. Is the baby harmed? 9 minutes later
I am 8weeks pregnant on saturday, I took the 1st pill of abortion but I don't want to carry on with it as I have changed my mind about abortion. Will the baby be ok and will it be born ok?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 minutes later
As you took the tablet at around 8 weeks, it is difficult to tell about baby's survival.
You better consult gynecologist, undergo ultrasound.
If baby is normal now and there are no signs of spotting etc., you can continue the pregnancy with regular checkups and progesterone supplementation under your doctor's guidance.
Anomaly scan in the second trimester is mandatory to rule out any possible anomalies.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.