Taken Macrodantin for long time. Noticed redness on both arms and underarms. What can be done?

hi i have taken Macrodantin 50 mg for a long time off and on now i have on boths side in side my legs red on my Arms and small one under my arms
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

It may be possible that it may represent an allergic drug reaction given the location description as you mention. Allergic type rashes to medications tend to involve the inner portions of the arms and legs, have a pin point morbiliform appearance, also can affect abdomen and buttocks and itching can be a symptom; many however are completely asymptomatic. I would advise to hold the medication and see your prescribing provider, who can confirm if it is indeed a drug rash or a different type of rash, such as an infection.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN