Taken MDMA while pregnant. Should I be worried?

I did not know i was pregnant on new years and i took a pure MDMA capsule for the first time , I am now 8 weeks pregnant and i am worried something could be wrong with my baby. Since I found out I have been taking good care of myself
Should I be worried??
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 40 minutes later

Ecstasy or MDMA is a psychoactive drug. Repeated use of the drug during gestation may cause developmental defects and heart problems in the fetus. The early weeks of the pregnancy is most important as that’s a crucial part of the fetal development. Since you mentioned that this was a first time use, and a single time, the risk exposure may be significantly less. But a high dose of even a single use may be harmful.

I cannot confirm at this early stage if there have been any teratogenic effects. You should keep yourself and your partner informed about the possibility of such a consequence, however low it may be. The best time to get a congenital anomaly scan is between 18 to 22 weeks. You should get that done at the optimum time. Meanwhile take care and hope for the best.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.