Taken Imiquimod for genital warts. Want to confirm recurrence of outbreak

Mar 2016

I have been to two doctors that tell me my vagina is perfectly normal and yet I KNOW for a fact that I had intercourse with someone who had it and in the past I did have a break out in which a doctor prescribed me Imiquimod although I could not afford the medication so they were never treated. I think that the warts may be so big the doctor thinks they belong and are just natural so I was wondering if it is allowed on here for me to send a specialist a picture of what I believe to be my genital warts and please confirm whether I am just being way over paranoid. I just need some peace and to know whether or not I have this infection.
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

From your attached image, I can assume that the fleshy tissue (red color) is quite normal and part of vaginal mucosa. It is mostly a normal anatomical structure.

It does not looks like genital warts which occurs mostly in cluster. Though, it is wise to confirm the diagnosis by pelvic examination and supportive lab test as you are concerned with your past history.

Here, I suggest you to consult with a gynecologist to proceed the examination & relevant investigations. You may need to undergo histopathological examination (under microscope) of the concerned tissue to confirm the diagnosis. Additionally, HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) test and one Pap test are required to rule out the associated etiology. These help to clear confusion and you will be in safe place.

Proper treatment depends on the diagnosis of the case. Take suggestive measures according to test result. Practice safe sex in future and maintain your genital hygiene properly.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen