Taken Euthyrox for cyst in thyroid gland, now have cystic acne, prescribed Levothyroxine. Is it for hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism?

Question
I was hoping you could help clarify my situation. A little over a year ago I went to see an endocrinologist because I felt a good size "bump" on my thyroid. The ultrasound showed that I had a cyst on the left side and a small mass on the right side of my thyroid gland, but all my thyroid hormone tests came back normal. The doctor stated that neither the cyst nor mass were affecting my thyroid hormone levels because they were normal. He prescibed Euthyrox 50 for a year. About two months ago I finished taking it and noticed that I started getting a lot of cystic acne. So I went to see my general physician and asked him to test my thyroid hormone levels. When the results came back, he stated that my TSH levels were very high and he prescribed Levothyroxine 75 mcg. I just started taking it yesterday, but I'm concerned because I read that Levotyroxine is used for hypothyroidism. However, although I have a couple of hypothyroid symptoms, I have more hyperthyroid symptoms. For example, I have cystic acne from very oily skin, hair loss, weight gain, cold intolerance, hot flashes, nervousness, moody, tremors, fast hearbeat, itchy skin and irritability. I don't have trouble sleeping, nor do I feel fatigued. My energy level is actually pretty good. Can you please explain this? By the way, the size of my cyst has decreased considerably because I can barely feel it. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. High TSH implies hypothyroidism. Hypothyroid symptoms are
pretty much non specific and there isnt much correlation between presence of symptoms and
TSH value.You are having some symptoms which are not specific for either hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism. These symptoms cannot be attributed to your thyroid problem. So dont bothrr
too much about some of these symptoms which are often seen with hyperthytoidism but can also be seen in people wothout hyperthyroidism. It is a different thing that you may require some form of treatment for these symptoms which is beyond endocrinologist'domain.
A patient can have either hypo or hyper at any given time not both. Your doc has rightly increased the dose of levothyroxine. i think it will improve some of your symptoms which could be due to hypothyroidism others will hav to be addressed separately.
Hope I have cleared ur doubts get back to me for any pending doubts

Follow-up: Taken Euthyrox for cyst in thyroid gland, now have cystic acne, prescribed Levothyroxine. Is it for hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism? 20 minutes later
Oh, okay. I was very worried. Then I'll just continue to take my medication. Do you think the Levothyroxin will help clear my cystic acne due to my oily skin once it has "normalized" my hormone levels? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 54 minutes later
No I dont think levothyroine is going to hav any effect whatsoever on cystic acne. You continue treatment for that from a dermatologist.Cystic acne is hardly ever related to thyroid problem. It is a separate problem and has to be dealt with as such
Thank you