Taken Doxycycline for chest infection but chest is still irritated and crackly. Coughing up yellow phlegm.

I had a chest infection for which I was given a course of Doxyxycline. I finished the meds 10 days ago and my chest is still irritated, crackly and I am coughing all the time, although not too much phlegm.. it is somethimes white and sometimes light yellow, but not XXXXXXX like it was before... I have made an appointment to see a lung specialist as the cough and crackling are not going away! My chest hurts when I cough and I feel like it and my through are constantly irritated. Ihave never had a cough be so stubborn.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query.

I have read the contents of the query. The antibiotic prescribed is according to local guidelines and I believe your doctor would have taken a right decision there. You seem to have chronic cough, with a family history of pulmonary fibrosis. PF may not be important in your case, though it is good to know the final diagnosis.

Since the cough is dry and hindering with your day to day activities. I wish you get an Chest Xray, Blood counts and spirometry to evaluate lung function. Meantime you can XXXXXXX your local GP who can prescribe you strong cough suppressants till the time you XXXXXXX the lung specialist.

Since there are no risk factors of smoking and asthma, it should not be a worrisome scenario and can easily be treated if evaluated early.

Hope this answers your question. Please accept the query if you do not have any follow up.

Dr. Mazumdar.