Taken Doxycycline and Lactic acid bacillus for sore throat, trouble swallowing. Are the medicines right?

hi Doc ,
am XXXXXXX .. age 27 healthy .. allergic to septron .. i had sore throat for past 3days .. i consulted a doc and he prescribed me doxycycline and lactic acid bacillus capsules(100 mg) and parcetemol .. .. i have no idea my throat infection is still very much there .. am having trouble while swallowing my saliva .. kindly let me knw if this is the right medication the doc has prescribed ..
warm regards XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
These medicines are appropriate but the disease is not!
Most upper respiratory tract infections are due to viral infections and should be treated with rest, nutritious diet, hydration, Saline gargle in lukewarm water after every meal or tea.
And decongestant medications like Sinarest/Wikoryl tablets to be taken every 6 hourly(please note that you can not drive or operate any machinery while on these medicines).
If you still do not get relief then comes the Doxycycline and....
Anyway you can continue Doxycycline and just follow the add on I have just suggested.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Follow-up: Taken Doxycycline and Lactic acid bacillus for sore throat, trouble swallowing. Are the medicines right? 32 minutes later
Thanks a lot doctor. I believe the add on you meant in your reply was allergy. I wil ltry this medication and let you know.

Thanks for your time

warm regards
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 25 minutes later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic!
I have noted that you are allergic to Septran which happens to be a sulpha drug.
The medicines I have advised to you are not from that class.
I hope you would be benefitted by the advise.