Taken Bifilac, Norflox and Bactrim for urinary tract infection without knowing pregnancy. Will the medication affect the fetus?

Question
I am 23 yrs old.I had my period on 19th of december.i had urinary tract infection on 1st of january and again had on 16th of XXXXXXX Doctor suggested me antibiotics like bifilac,norflox,bactrim DS. Recently i had my pregnancy test and it showed positive.I am afraid that the antibiotics i took will harm my fetus in womb.Will i have any problem.?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

An intake of antibiotics during first trimester unknowingly is a matter of worry. But in most of the cases the effects are not XXXXXXX and do not cause any congenital malformations during this time. The risk to your unborn child is very small and the benefit of getting adequately treated and preventing further risks is far greater.

The majority of birth defects and childhood diseases occur even if the mother is not exposed to any known harmful agent during pregnancy.

There is no reason to be worried now. The medicines you have taken - Norflox, Bifilac and Bactrim DS are not likely to produce any harmful effect on your fetus.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Taken Bifilac, Norflox and Bactrim for urinary tract infection without knowing pregnancy. Will the medication affect the fetus? 12 hours later
Thanq mam.
i am really afraid tats y in confused state to continue with pregnancy..Is the possibility to hae defect or malformation too low?.Because this s my first pregnancy.Can the defects in fetus be found using scan.plz tell me what are all the steps i should follow now to avoid defect in my fetus.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The possibility of having any congenital malformation is almost negligible. Only extremely large congenital defects can be picked up an ultrasound but the minor ones cannot be detected on ultrasound. There are several tests that can be done at around 20 weeks to detect fetal malformations. These include fetal echocardiography, maternal serum alpha protein levels, maternal unconjugated estriol maternal serum beta-human chorionic gonadotropin, amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling. Your gynaecologist can guide you regarding these tests at the appropriate time.
I would suggest that you take a regular folic supplement to avoid neural tube defects in your baby. You can take tablet Folvite 0.5 mg once daily.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.