Taken Allegra and antibiotics for cold. Have running nose and sneezing. No fever, cough, or body pain. Effective treatment?

Allergist and Immunologist
Hi, my name is XXXXXXX
I'm suffering from cold for past 3 weeks. I have consulted a Physican, she suggested to take Allegra 180 and antiboitics for 5days. I took the same but there was no remedy I tried desi medicine (hot milk with termeric) it reduces but no remedy.
During day time when I'm not in office (i.e., when I'm not sitting in AC) I'm fine. But during office time or at night time i have running nose and continuous sneezing.
I do not have any fever, cough or body pain.
Kindly suggest what shall I do to get rid of this severe cold?
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 34 minutes later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

Cold allergy can be a manifestation of an underactive thyroid, so thyroid function testing will be required (TSH, fT4) if not done recently.
Allegy testing to exclude house dust mite and cockroach allergy (either by blood tests, specific IgE, or skin prick testing) will be required.
A full aeroallergen panel of pets, mould mix etc will also be required to be done but you need to be off Allegra for 7 days for skin test.
You do NOT need to stp medication for blood tests.

A combination of Allegra and steroid nasal spray will help but the duration of treatment will depend on the number of allergens you test positive for that would determine whether it is seasonal or perennial.

Best Wishes.
Follow-up: Taken Allegra and antibiotics for cold. Have running nose and sneezing. No fever, cough, or body pain. Effective treatment? 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor.
I'll get tests done. Shall I continue with Allegra180, for how long? Do you suggest to take antibiotics?

Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 31 minutes later
Usually that depends on the type of allergies - such as house dust mite allergy - where the typical duration is between April to October due to high humidity when dust mite and cockroach levels increase.

Allegra 180 mg once daily for 3 months for now I will suggest.

Best Wishes.