Take vodka with soft drink every evening. Do not smoke. Never skip dinner. Suggest?

Hello Sir

I take 180ml vodka with soft drink every day in the evening and i dont smoke also. And i never skip my dinner after drink and morning i do workouts my age is 27 my height is 5.9 and weight is 73kg matching to BMI.
is there any problem if i continue .....
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes. Find the detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us,

Alcohol has certain properties of dependence (or addiction) and tolerance which render it difficult to be taken on a daily basis with no damage caused. Small regular drinks over long term is notorious for dependence. The problem will not be apparent till complications occur. After a long term intake (of even small amounts) if you stop taking abruptly or even reduce the amount you will feel the restlessness and a sense of craving and urge to take it compulsively. Physical withdrawals, the most common one being trembling of hands or body are seen when you are in a stage of dependency. Others being, insomnia, headache, palpitations, sweating etc. There can be serious withdrawals (in case of long term heavy intake) like hallucinations, delirium, fearfulness etc. Once you enter this stage it becomes very difficult to come out of it. Regular exercise or a balanced diet cannot prevent dependence.

The physical harm that alcohol can do on long term, you must be aware of, like liver damage, gastric problems, paresthesias etc. Alcohol affects almost every system in our body.

Take control over the intake and do not let it control you.

Hope this helps,
Write back in case of any doubts,
Dr A Rao