Take prescription Zocor, has warning stating avoid grapefruit. Can foot powder containing grapefruit be taken?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I take a prescription rx, Zocor, which has a warning on the bottle saying avoid grapefruits and grapefruit juice. Is it ok to use a foot/body powder containing grapefruit seed extract (citrus grandis)?
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, You can use foot/body powder.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Grape fruits or juice is to be avoided while consuming zocar (simvastatin) because grape fruit significantly increases the levels of zocar & enhances its action in the body. This increase in the levels of zocar may produce systemic side effects especially affecting the muscles in the body leading to myopathy or rhabdomyolysis which can be fatal at times.

But grape seed extract based powders are only for external application on the body and they won't enter into the blood circulation. So they can be used safely.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: Take prescription Zocor, has warning stating avoid grapefruit. Can foot powder containing grapefruit be taken? 34 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX when people use the nicotine patch on their skin does it not get into their bloodstream to help them stop smoking? If i'm using this powder in my genital and feet area on my skin isn't it entering my bloodstream also? And possibly causing problems with me taking the Zocor?
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Generally Powder forms won't enter the circulation

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you

This is just to make you understand the difference between a powder and a patch.
Powder is in dry form and will not stick to the skin, so tend to clear off the skin (unless it is rubbed in) when it gets into contact with clothes or any other material. Whereas in Nicotine patches, the drug concentrations are in highest amounts and it sticks to the skin to release the drug in slow concentrations for an extended periods of time.

Also, use of dusting powders over the genitals is not advisable as when the powder comes into contact with the MUCOUS membrane present on genitals, it tends to get absorbed into the circulation as mucous membranes are very XXXXXXX in blood supply.

Personally, I don't think that sprinkling dusting powder (containing grape seed extract) on areas of skin (WITHOUT ULCERS OR CRACKS IN SKIN) will lead to any systemic toxicity.

Hope I have justified your query. Have a great day