Take prednisone for knee pain but no help. Suggest dosage?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi i take 25 mg of prednisone a day for pain in my knees try to stop but the pain is unbareable even on 5 mgs is there any else i can use
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Maximum daily dose of Prenisone is 60mg.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

This is just to let you know that Corticosteroid preparations like prednisone is to be taken only to suppress a acute flare up of pain in the knee joints for only a few days. It is not advisable to continue it regularly as steroid preparations tend to produce serious systemic adverse reactions if taken for prolonged periods of time.

The maximum daily dose of prednisone used in treating acute flareup in joint diseases is 60mg per day to be given in divided doses.

So, your treating doctor should asses the dose of prednisone to be given, based on the amount of symptomatology and disease activity in you.

Please let me know the exact indication or diagnosis for which you are taking prednisone daily, so that I can guide you further.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further