Take paxil for anxiety and OCD? Ecstasy drug caused serotonin levels to reduce? Can I get limb lengthening?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Hello Doctor,
Right now I really think I should get back on Paxil. I used to take paxil about 2 years ago for anxiety and OCD. I was on it for about 8 months and then I went off and on again. I stopped using it abruptly. Now I'm thinking I should get back on it because I feel depressed and my OCD is affecting me again. When I was on it I had better control over my anxiety and OCD, but now I feel like my OCD and anxiety is getting worse and on top of that I feel a little depressed. I don't feel happy like I did back when I took paxil. I think it's because of my Ecstasy drug use that caused my serotonin levels to go down. I want to get back on paxil but I am afraid because of 2 reasons.

First reason is I am afraid paxil might affect my blood sugar and endocrine system in some way that would cause me to have diabetes. Both my parents are diabetic, and my blood sugar seems kind of high for my age. I'm only 20 years old and my blood sugar is around 90-100. Is that normal? Would taking paxil cause me to have diabetes? Does paxil affect the pancreas in any way or affect my body in any way that would cause me to develop diabetes? I ask this because I've read stories on the internet that someone took paxil for a while and then they were later diagnosed with diabetes.

My second reason for not taking paxil is I heard it makes your bones weaker. Is that true? I am going to have cosmetic limb lengthening surgery in around 2 years from now, and I'm afraid paxil would affect my body or my bones to the point where it would make bone growth or bone healing slow. Is that possible? I'm going to get off paxil before I get the limb lengthening surgery, but I was wondering if paxil would do any damage to my body or bones to prevent me from healing normally during the lengthening and consolidation procedures?

Last question..

The limb lengthening hospitals do not accept any patients that has a history of taking antidepressants. Before I get limb lengthening, I'm going to wean off paxil first and wait until paxil completely gets out of my body so that when they test me for antidepressants, they won't find any antidepressant usage. How long does it take for paxil to get out of my body completely to the point where it won't show up if they test me?
Thank you doctor.
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Your question is good and I will try to answer your questions according to my experience and guidelines:

-As there is recurrence of symptom then it is better to XXXXXXX your psychiatrist and start Paxil again. Untreated anxiety and OCD cases frequently lead to depression which is severe problem compare to OCD.
-As you have responded to Paxil in past then it become useful for you even in presence of depression.
-Do not worry about diabetes and bone change with paxil. I have not come across with such cases.
-As there is family history of diabetes then you are at risk of getting diabetes without paxil also.
-As you frequently stop medicine then also start non drug treatment like exposure and response prevention(ERP) for OCD and CBT for anxiety.
-You can slowly taper and stop paxil before procedure after your psychiatrist advice around 1 week before.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Take paxil for anxiety and OCD? Ecstasy drug caused serotonin levels to reduce? Can I get limb lengthening? 1 hour later
Thanks for the answers. I need to ask some more questions to be sure.

So you are saying that there is no connection between paxil and diabetes AND paxil and bone change, correct? It is completely safe to take it even though I will get limb lengthening surgery about 2 years later?

Are you saying that after I stop taking paxil, it takes 1 week to completely get out of my body so it will be undetectable when they test me, correct?

And last question..

My fasting blood sugar is around 90-100. I am 20 years old. Do you think that is normal for my age?

Thank you Dr

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 7 hours later
Hello again,

thanks for follow up,

Ans: Do not worry about diabetes and bone change with paxil. I have not come across with such cases. To be sure, get yourself monitored with fasting blood sugar level and bone density scan, while on treatment with paxil. Every drug has long list side effects, but they experienced by very less number of patients. As you had tolerated paxil in past well, then in my opinion there is no need to worry.

Ans: It will undetectable after 1 week.

Ans: Yes

In last there is never 100% surety in medical science regarding effect and side effect. Drug response worry person to person. But we have to do risk benefit analysis before using medicines.

Wish you good health.