Take micardis Hydrochlorothiazide, developed rash all over. Taking prednisone didn't help. Suggest?

I take micardis /hct I developed a rash all over my body I was told the hct could cause this . I have taken prednisone fo 2 weeks did not help
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

Its true that " HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE" also know as water pill, can cause rash.

Since you had rash and are taking prednisone, still their is no improvement, so based on that I would recommend that you stop taking HTC as well as taper the dose of prednisone per the advice of your physician.

Please stop the HTC as soon as possible and if you blood pressure rises above 150 mm/hg on the higher side (systolic ) contact your physician and ask him an to change the drug.

Drinking alcohol while taking HTC does also increases the rash. Please avoid alcohol for while even after stoping the HTC for 3-5 days.

Hope all gets better soon.

Thanks for the query. Please feel free to contact me in case of any further question or clarifications.