Take lisinopril for high blood pressure. Safe? Side effects?

I take lisinopril for high blood pressure.

I am at the age my sexual performance not what it used to be.

Are there any products on market that is safe to take?
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Dear Sir
1. There are 5 main classes of blood pressure lowering drugs (Antihypertensives).
A. Beta blockers B. Diuretics C. ACE inhibitors D. Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) E. Calcium channel blockers (CCBs). First two are most commonly implicated in erectile dysfunction/ low libido. Lisinopril belongs to 3rd group (ACE inhibitors). The incidence of erectile dysfunction is ~1/1000 prescriptions for this drug. Unfortunately this degree of erectile dysfunction/ low libido (~1/1000 prescriptions) has been reported with the prototype drugs of 4th and 5th group as well (telmisartan & amlodipine respectively).
2. Erectile dysfunction, more often than not is due to other causes rather than the side effect of antihypertensives. These may be diabetes, high blood pressure, old age, neuropathies, significant systemic illnesses and psychological stress.
3. I would like you to see your internist (physician) and get a detailed evaluation done. If no contributory cause for erectile dysfunction or low libido is found, you can get a fresh prescription from any of the last mentioned 3 group of drugs. There are many other drugs in ACE inhibitor group beside lisinopril. You may also get a prescription of an ARB or CCB. I hope if it is only drug related, it should resolve with this.
Feel free to discuss further.