Take Xanax for mild depression, Panadol for sleep. Would Cipralex be more effective?

am 44 male and sometime feel that i may have a case of mild depression. at times i take a minimum dose of Xanax. a friend of mine recommended out of his personal experience that i take an anti depression drug called Cipralex. what do you recommend ? P.S i have problems sleeping since many years and for this i take a Panadol nite tablet nightly.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 4 hours later
Hi Amer,

I have gone through your history.
As you have not mentioned any symptoms you have, it is difficult to diagnose and advise properly. So please revert to me with symptoms you have.

Xanax contains alprazolam which is drug mainly used for sleep and to reduce anxiety. But it has high abuse potential.

Cipralex contains escitalopram which is good antidepressant drug but it has its own side effects if taken inadvertantly.

You should instead, consult qualified psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and diagnosis. Then doctor will advise which medicines will suit you best.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have any query.