Take Lexapro. Starting garcinia Cambodia extract for weight loss. Safe to take both?

Hi I take 20mg of Lexapro a day for ocd and would like to start taking garcinia Cambodia
extract for weight loss is it safeto take them together since they both effect the serotonin levels
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The two drugs should NOT be combined

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ma'am,

I fully agree with you that both : Lexapro and Garcinia affect brain serotonin levels. In fact, BOTH: Lexapro and Garcinia (mainly its constituent- Hydroxycitric acid or HCA) INCREASE THE LEVELS of Serotonin in the Brain. Taking both concomitantly, will produce a condition called "Serotonin Syndrome" characterized by excess serotonin levels in the brain.

Hence, to avoid this syndrome, the dose of Lexapro should be REDUCED accordingly, depending on the dose of Garcinia taken.

I will therefore recommend that you discuss the entire matter with your treating doctor. If you do decide to take Garcinia for weight loss, it should be taken under strict supervision of the doctor/psychiatrist.

Hope I have answered your query. If there are further clarifications, I will be happy to answer.

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal