Tachycardia, stent placement done, triggers for racing pulse

Pulse 143. Male 71, second time today racing pulse. Not over weight. History of stent in heart but have had for over 5 years. Past week several times pulse rate high. Blood presure 114/78.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
It sounds like you have some type of tachycardia or rapid rhythm. Is there anything you are doing which could raise the rate such as smoking or drinking caffeine or any energy drinks? If not we could consider anxiety as a potential factor. In the absence of anxiety we should talk about rhythm disturbance.

Certain things may contribute to a rhythm disturbance including dehydration or electrolyte abnormalities. I would suggest you drink a generous amount of an electrolyte beverage such as Gatorade for the next 24 hours. If your symptoms persist or if you feel chest pain, faintness, nausea or significant shortness of breath then you should see a physician for a full physical examination and consultation.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.