TVS test report showed small follicles in ovaries (multiple). Meaning?

I have had a tvs test conducted. Below are the impressions:
Small follicles in ovaries (multiple)
Thick heterogeneous endometrium
Cervical nabothian follicle

Please advise me doctor.
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Soumen Patra 1 hour later

Multiple small follicle in ovaries may indicate PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome) if clinical features correlate with it. It is mainly characterized by increased blood testosterone level, menstrual irregularity with anovulation, over weight or obesity, resistance to insulin etc. Relevant investigations & treatment may be needed.

Thick heterogenous endometrium may be caused by certain underlying pathology. Here, endometrial tissue biopsy following D & C is advisable to pin point the diagnosis. Please consult with your gynecologist regarding this.

Cervical nabothian cyst or follicle is a mucus-filled cyst on the surface of the cervix. It is considered harmless and disappear on their own if it is not enlarged. Otherwise, electrocautery or cryofreezing may be needed to remove the cyst.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: TVS test report showed small follicles in ovaries (multiple). Meaning? 9 minutes later
Is biopsy a necessity Sir?
I am really tensed for my wife. Are things very serious? I mean any reason to worry?

Please advise doctor?
Answered by Dr. Soumen Patra 30 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Endometrial tissue biopsy is confirmatory test to rule out underlying pathology if any. Following that, she may need specific treatment.

If you both are trying for an issue (suffering from infertility) or she has menstrual irregularity or other symptoms, then she needs proper treatment after consultation with gynecologist. Otherwise you have nothing to worry regarding this.

Hope, I have cleared your doubt. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Good luck. Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen