TVS US showed ovarian cyst with free fluid. Do I need to worry about fluid and where is it coming from?

Question
i had a transvaginal us day 28,the day before my last period started and it showed an ovarian cyst with small amount of free fluid in cul de sac..i had another today for followup and it showed the cyst still there and a small increase in the fluid, it is day 15 of my cycle and i am ovulating..i also have a small cyst on my left ovary.do i need to worry about the fluid and where is it coming from??
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 53 minutes later

You need not worry about the fluid.It is common association with pelvis pathologies and doesn't need any special treatment.

Ovarian cysts do resolve on their own most of the time, so you can just keep them following on ultrasound. Only if symptoms develop, they persist or increase in size you might need to consider treating them.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards.

Follow-up: TVS US showed ovarian cyst with free fluid. Do I need to worry about fluid and where is it coming from? 7 hours later
what happens to the fluid in the cul de sac???? will it go away??? also do the cysts resolve in one cycle or could they linger???

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later
Fluid goes away once the underlying pathology resolves. It is not always predictable how long the cysts will take to resolve.But most cysts resolve in a cycle or two.

Regards.