Ask a Urologist   »  

TURP procedure done, bleeding due to masturbation, recovery period

I had an emergency TURP 7 weeks ago and was recovering well. After 3 weeks I decided to masturbate. 2 days later I had severe bleeding and clots causing full retention and vista to ER. I had a catheter in for week, recovered well for another two. Masterbated again and 2 days later had the severe bleeding again followed by surgery. Can masterv=bation too early cause the TURP surgery to bleed. I have had bleeding at no other time.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 7 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

Masturbation/sexual activity can cause prostate to bleed.

I is always suggested to abstain from sexual activity of any sort for 3 months post TURP (Trans-Urethral Resection of Prostate).

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: TURP procedure done, bleeding due to masturbation, recovery period 7 hours later
Thank you for your short response. Are you saying that even though all other activities were quite normal after three weeks, masturbation alone could have caused excessive bleeding from the surgery. And then again after another two weeks. No bleeding seems to have come from any other activity.
Thank you. I am now in a holding pattern as the urologist has a catheter in me for another week as before. This is now 7 weeks since the original TURP. Is it reasonbale to expect that the surgical wound is still healing and that I should be patient? No blood has shown whilst wearing the catheter.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 17 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

No heavy activity is allowed for 3 months after TURP including lifting heavy weights.

This can increase the pressure in prostatic fossa and led to bleeding.

Scientifically speaking, mastrubation or having intercourse is even worse than lifting heavy weights and one should not indulge into any such activity.

Your surgical wounds are healing and you have to be patient.

Follow-up: TURP procedure done, bleeding due to masturbation, recovery period 27 days later
It is now 6 weeks since my last turp with no bleeding. The flow rate is good and I am lasting 2-3 hours between urinations. However it always seems that I have not quite emptied my bladder and need to do Keigels to release more. Even though I last a long time between I always feel as though I need to go. Will this Bladder irritation go away. Is there anything I can do to relieve symptoms as it is quite uncomfortable.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 15 hours later

It will improve slowly over the next 6 weeks.

You should get an ultrasound done for residual urine.

If your residual urine is not high then you can start yourself on anticholinergics under the care of your urologist.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.