TTC, delayed period, have slight bleeding and spotting, waist pain. Sign of pregnancy or something else?

This is XXXXXXX We are planning for baby. My period is delayed (40 days instead of 35) for last 4 months. For last 5 days, I am having very light and spotted bleeding. I have pain also in waist. Please suggest if it's any sign of pregnancy or some issue.
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 55 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

First, I have some questions for you:
1. What was your cycle like before 4 months ago?
2. Have you checked a pregnancy test recently?
3. Has anything else changed? Weight gain? Weight loss?

Thank you!
Follow-up: TTC, delayed period, have slight bleeding and spotting, waist pain. Sign of pregnancy or something else? 11 minutes later
Thanks for your response.
Answers to your questions:
1. cycle before - 35 days
2. pregnancy test - not done.
3. slight weight change but that's normal.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Thank you for the followup information.

It sounds like you are having problems related to absent or irregular ovulation. This is very common, and when women report such irregular cycles, the workup often includes:
1. A thorough exam
2. Labs related to thyroid disease, diabetes, and a hormone called prolactin
3. An ultrasound

Certainly given that you are trying to get pregnant, the light spotting could be related to early pregnancy implantation bleeding. You definitely need to check a pregnancy test now. As far as the pain, here is another explanation:

1. Around mid-cycle women ovulate
2. At the time of ovulation, it is common to have pelvic cramping / discomfort
3. It is also common to have a small amount of bleeding midcycle around the time of ovulation

I hope that this all helps and good luck!