TSH level varying with different blood tests, history of goiter, family history of thyroid problem. What is going on?

My TSH if .008 and my T4 is 8.9 as of end of September. In early January of this year my internist wanted an annual blood test and my TSH was .465, T4 - 1.3, T3 - 3.4. A couple of weeks later my cardiologist wanted a blood test for his records and my TSH was .298 - did not test T4 or T3. Just made an appt with my endcrinologist - he was eager that I see him very soon. What may be going on? I feel fine, have the usual amount of energy, sleep well, no sudden loss of weight, et. About 30 years ago my sister had throid cancer, had her thyroid removed and has been fine since. My mother had a goiter removed in her late 30's or early 40's. They both are fine but do take a synthetic thyroxine. I have had a goiter for some 20 years but it has been stable and not grown larger. Some years ago I was on thyroxine for a few years as I understood at the time the physician thought my goiter was caused by not enough thyroxine. I was taken off that later as my heart rate was too high and I was beginning to show some signs of osteopenia (sp?).
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 13 hours later

I do understand that TSH has been 0.008, 0.298, 0.465 on various occasions. Your Low TSH with near normal T3 and T4 suggest that you may be having early Hyperthyroidism (Where your thyroid is going high).

You would require some more test like ultrasound scan and nuclear scan to assess the problem with low TSH.

Since you also have a goiter and given the family history of thyroid cancer, it is preferable to a needle biopsy from the thyroid enlargement to assess the nature of swelling.

I hope, I have answered your query.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.