TSH level high. On thyronorm until pregnancy. Will it cause side effects? How much TSH will reduce?

I am planning to conceive from past 10 months but not able to do so... i consulted the gynocologist recently, she tested fsh..etc and found everything to be normal but my tsh is 3.1mIU/l so she suggested me to take thyronorm 12.5mcg until i conceive.Will this tablet cause any side effect or will i put on much of tsh will be reduced by takin this tablet.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

I understand your concern and I shall try to give you good information pertaining to your query.

According to the latest guidelines, TSH values of above 3 are considered high and need thyroid supplement. The condition is referred to as mild hypothyroidism; and yes, hypothyroid state does affect fertility and chances of conception.

If the entire tests including your partner’s sperm analysis are normal, the thyroid supplements should increase your chances to conceive.

As far as side effects are concerned, it does cause a few symptoms such as weight reduction, irritability, anxiety, palpitation, increased perspiration, tremors and so on. The side effects however are dose dependent. If you develop any such symptoms, you will need to repeat TSH levels and get your medications adjusted.

Thyroid supplements do produce immediate effects on your body; however the levels may take a few weeks to month to normalize.

Your condition can be better managed by an endocrinologist and infertility specialist together. I encourage you to consult an endocrinologist if you haven't seen one yet.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Do accept the answer if you are satisfied with my response.

I wish you good luck and bright future ahead.

Best Regards
Follow-up: TSH level high. On thyronorm until pregnancy. Will it cause side effects? How much TSH will reduce? 32 hours later
I have a doubt, Tsh above 3 is considered as hypo or hyperthyrodism.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 35 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

I apologize for the delayed response.

Your doubt about your diagnosis - hypothyroid/hyperthyroidism with TSH value of 3 is a good one. I shall try my best to clarify this doubt.

At most places, normal range of Thyroid stimulation hormone (TSH) is between 0.4 to 5 mIU/L. The condition is called hyperthyroidism when TSH values are below reference range and hypothyroidism when the value is above range.

So your TSH value of 3 is within range and you are normal. I mean you do not have either hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism.

However recent studies have shown many individuals with mild hypothyroidism have normal TSH values. Hence the American Association of Endocrinologist has given new guidelines and according to it, individual with TSH values of above 3 are to be treated for mild hypothyroidism.

The bottom line is that TSH of above 3 is considered MILD HYPOTHYROIDISM.

Hope this clarifies your doubt. Do accept the response if you are satisfied with my answer. Let me know if I have missed out any of your concerns.

Wish you good health and All the best