TSH level 6.19. Having severe body and swelling in palms. Suggest

The TSH is high for my Wife the levels are 6.19 ,t3 and t4 are normal .
she experiences severe pain in body and swelling in palms
Kindly suggest
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later

I am Dr.Omer , and I am here to help you with your query

You have told that your wife has high TSH (6.19) with normal T3 , T4; complaining about severe pain and swelling of palms. High TSH and normal t3, t4 is known as subclinal hypothyroidism. And subclinical hypothyroid patients with symptoms should be treated with thyroxine. It's good to know that your wife is on thyroxine, but I feel the dose need to be increased to 50-75 microgram/day. Discuss with her treating doctor.

Swelling of palms and feet are common in people with high TSH due to water retention. However patients who complain of severe pain in body can have the following plausible causes:
1. Depression
2. Fibromyalgia

Discuss about these possibilities with her treating doctor.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.