TSH 6.91, T3, T4 normal, antibodies test positive, on thyronorm, weight gain, hair fall. Curable?

i have tsh reading as 6.91 and t3 and t4 are normal. however my antibodies test came positive. I have startedd taking thyronorm will it be sufficient in my case. I m really afraid of gaining weight and also hair fall. Can it be cured ??
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 44 minutes later

Normal TSH level is 0.5 to 5 mcg. Levels of 6.91 suggests along with anti thyroid antibody positive suggests mild hypothyroidism.

One of the most common causes of hypothyroidism is the autoimmune disease called Hashimoto's disease, in which antibodies gradually target the thyroid and destroy its ability to produce thyroid hormone.

Symptoms of hypothyroidism can be as follows.
Fatigue ,Sluggishness,Increased sensitivity to cold,Constipation Pale, dry skin
A puffy face Hoarse voice An elevated blood cholesterol level Unexplained weight gain Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness,Pain, stiffness or swelling in joints Muscle weakness
Heavier than normal menstrual periods ,Brittle fingernails and hair ,Depression etc.
do you experience any of these?

When not treated a person may gain weight, high cholesterol, excessively slow and sleepy.

Thyronorm can effecively treat all the symptoms of hypothyroidism including hair problems. It is thyroxine supplement. Follow up with doctor initially to check if the dose is sufficient. You may frequently need Serum TSH. Keep you weight under check. Check cholesterol levels every 6 months.

Follow up regularly with your physician at three month interval after initial adjusting of dose.

I will be available for follow up questions if any. Take care.
Follow-up: TSH 6.91, T3, T4 normal, antibodies test positive, on thyronorm, weight gain, hair fall. Curable? 14 hours later
ok there one more small Question if i have my tsh in control then also will i have the tendency of gaining weight by itself? Will it be difficult for me to be in shape and good health now?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Once you are on treatment, it is unlikely that you will have any symptoms. You will not gain weight if you maintain a healthy dietary habits and healthy lifestyle. We have seen patients who manage well for years together on thyroxine without any significant other problems.

Only at the time of stress like any surgery, childbirth, infection or other illness you may need extra care and change in thyroxine dosage.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.