Ask a Dentist   »  

TMJ with bruxism with small lump around it, allergies. under severe stress causing teeth clenching. Cause?

I have TMJ with bruxism and I am currently in no pain but noticed a small tender swelling or lump near TMJ joint on left side. Also have allergies with funny feeling with teeth. I have been under stress lately and could be clenching or grinding my teeth at night. I have not been wearing my mouthpiece. What could it be?
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 4 hours later

I would like you to know that due to night grinding or bruxism the biting surfaces of the teeth becomes flat, the enamel which protects the nerves within the tooth is worn off with continuous pressure. This the reason why teeth become sensitive.

The swelling over the TMJ joint can be from slight inflammation , I suggest you to apply alternate hot and cold compresses over the swelling.

Do not chew hard foods for a while, you can take a painkiller but only twice/day after meals only.
If the swelling does not subside in 3-5 days or even if it increases in size then kindly see your dentist.
Also, continue wearing the mouth piece as advised by your dentist.

I hope this answer was useful,

Kindly write back if you have any further queries.

I wish you good health,