TBPCR positive, infertility. Treatable?

ENT Specialist
Hi, my age is 36 yrs, I have got TBPCR test positive and got treatment for 9 months, (reason for infirtility).now after treatment again tested TB PCR and it came positive, what does it mean? is this not treatable?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 6 hours later

Thanks for the query,

Let me tell you about this, There are many tests for tuberculosis, which can be broadly classified into two categories

1- diagnostic tests of TB.
2- Confirmatory tests of TB.

The diagnostic tests are not so sensitive in comparison to confirmatory tests and includes mauntaux test, ESR estimation , x XXXXXXX chest, or ct scan thorax.

on the contrary, the confirmatory tests are very sensitive, and includes THe Polymerase Chain Reaction test ( PCR). THE POSITIVE PCR some times denotes the previous focus of the disease.

The T.B is a 100% curable disease, and you will not have to take much tension, just consult a chest physician. He may evaluate regarding this and he also assess if there is a need to treat you again for the tuberculosis.

If the actual problem for infertility was only tuberculosis getting treated for this will serve two purposes.

So, be assured that you will get rid this problem soon. Also discuss with your treating doctor in detail regarding this.

Hope this will help you and I am happy to answer your follow ups if any.